This German buttonhole sampler is in an early black frame with beaded molding. It has an interesting provenance.
In the 1800's it was in the Emm-Henriette Schiff von Suvero collection and was passed down in her family until
it was confiscated by the Nazi regime in 1939. Then it was sold to Staatiliche Kunstgewerbe museum in Vienna,
now known as the Museum fur Angewandte Kunst (MAK). In 2003 the Austrian Government rightfully returned it to
Emm-Henriette Schiff von Suvero heirs. They sold it through Christies South Kensington in November of 2003. Since
2003 this little sampler has been owned by a dealer, a private collector, sold through an auction to a another
private collector, to another dealer and now it could be yours.
STEPHEN & CAROL HUBER